Chocolate Easter bunnies are an Easter staple. When you place them on a cupcake and make Easter Bunny Cupcakes, it makes them even cuter.
I love Easter. I love going to church, Easter eggs hunts, Easter baskets, and all the pastels colors. Growing up, my parents would always buy us a chocolate egg from the local chocolate shop. The chocolatier would write our names on top with frosting, which made the tradition even more special. It was something that we looked forward to every year.
Disclosure: If you make a purchase through links in this post, we may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
I miss those chocolate eggs. However, nothing compares to the joy of making my own Easter treats, like these Easter bunny cupcakes.
How To Make Easter Bunny Cupcakes
These cute bunny cupcakes are extremely easy to whip up and will surely be a big hit with kids and adults!
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
Tips to Enhance the Taste of Your Easter Bunny Cupcake Batter
Here are a few hacks that you can use to make your boxed cake mix to taste like a store bought cake:
Tip#1 – Add an Egg
You can add an extra egg if you want your cupcakes to be very rich and moist. Avoid using the egg yolk if you want a lighter cake. However, you should remember that removing the yolk reduces the fat content in your cake which can affect moisture of your cake. Make sure you add 1 tablespoon of oil/melted butter for every yolk you remove.
Tip#2 – Substitute Oil
Vegetable or Canola oil does not contribute any flavor to the mix. Replacing oil with melted butter helps you get a better taste while maintaining the texture. Add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise to boost the richness of your cake. You can also add ¼ cup yogurt or sour cream for a tangy twist.
Tip#3 – Replace Water
We all know that water does not carry any flavor on its own. Substituting water with whole milk or buttermilk enhances the taste and the density of your cake. Milk has added fats which increases the richness of your cake and makes it extra tender. You could also get creative and add non-diary liquids like orange juice or soda.
Easter Bunny Cupcakes
- Piping bag
- Wilton icing tip #12
- 1 dozen of your favourite cupcakes (we used a cake box mix)
- 4-5 oz. white rolling fondant
- 2-3 oz. pink rolling fondant
- 1 stick unsalted butter (approx. 1/2 cup) softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Before beginning the decorating process, ensure that your cupcakes are completely cool to the touch. Otherwise, the buttercream frosting will melt right off!
- With washed hands and on a smooth, clean working surface, roll 24 white fondant spheres, approximately 1 inch in diameter each.
- Roll out 24 pink fondant spheres, about 1/3 of an inch in size each.
- Lightly roll out each white fondant sphere into ovals, about 1 ½ inches in size. Flatten slightly and point on one end to create a“bunny ear” shape.
- Repeat for the pink spheres but keep them slightly under 1 inch long.
- Press one pink fondant shape on each white fondant shape.
- With the remaining pink fondant, roll out 12 small fondant spheres – slightly smaller than 1/3 of an inch in diameter.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk with an electric mixer. Start speed on low and gradually increase to high.
- Beat until all ingredients are well-combined, forming a smooth consistency.
- Scoop buttercream into piping bag with Wilton tip #12 attached. Frost each cupcake.
- Time to assemble the cupcakes! Place two fondant bunny ears on each cupcake and top it off with a pink “bunny nose.”
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
More Festive Dessert Recipes:
If you enjoyed making this Easter Bunny Cupcake, then you will love these festive dessert recipes too:
- Easter Bunny Poop Rice Krispies: Easter Bunny Poop Rice Krispies will have you and the family laughing for days, especially if it’s left from the Easter Bunny.
- Snowman Cupcakes – A Winter Treat: Snowman Cupcake are an Easy to Make Winter Treat, perfect for Christmas or a blistery winter day.
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes: These Christmas Tree Cupcakes only require a few ingredients and will make your Christmas party guest smile with Christmas Cheer.