This heart doilies craft is simple and adorable! So much fun to make and can be used as decor or little Valentine’s.
Hello, I’m Amy and I blog at amylanham.com. I love doing crafts with my kids. I especially love inexpensive crafts with my kids.
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
We keep a lot of craft supplies on hand. My kids love working with glue and scissors. So anytime I can find a craft that allows them to use those two items they are thrilled!
The kids have each been home sick over the past couple of weeks, so I needed an inexpensive, but fun and time killing craft that was easy to do and easy to clean up. I ran to the Dollar Tree and saw these heart doilies and just knew they’d be perfect for some crafting.
How To Make Heart Doilies Craft
These heart doilies crafts have endless variations. You could make these all day long and it would be so much fun!
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable craft card at the bottom of this post.
Craft Tools Needed:
Heart Doilies Craft Tips
What Heart Doily Animals can I Make?
It’s more like what heart doily animal can you not make! The possibilities are endless. I let my kids decide what animals they wanted to make.
I made two suggestions, a butterfly and a flower, and they came up with the rest. A rat, a cat, and a snowman. But we definitely could have kept going.
A bird with two felt hearts for the beak, a pig with a swirly tail, a horse with pointier ears or a unicorn with a horn. It basically just depends on what shape the ears are.
Make lots of pointy ears, round ears, and even oblong ears. Let the kids go wild creating their animals. Let their imaginations fly, I’m sure they’ll love the freedom.
How to Set up This Craft
I love setting out all the supplies and letting the kids go at it. I try to make a couple of suggestions but not too many. My kids are 5 and 7.
They love using scissors, but for some of the harder elements they sometimes need help. So I cut out the ears for them and the snowman hat, but that was it with this craft. My daughter loved making the whiskers.
I also like to separate the items for them. So put all the pipe cleaners in one location, all the googly eyes, and so on. I store them all mixed together, but then separate them out so they can see all the supplies while doing the craft.
Get Yourself a Craft Tray
If you don’t have one, I highly recommend getting some sort of a tray. Most craft stores sell them, sometimes Target will have them in the dollar section.
If you plan on doing lots of crafts or painting with your kids, I highly highly recommend these. They are amazing for paint and glue and just keep all the craft stuff generally together. Super easy to clean too!
I actually didn’t use our tray for this craft and my kids got glue on the table. It’s still easy to clean up, but it would have been so much easier with our craft tray! We love them. We have four and use them almost daily.
What to Use the Finished Project For?
I love being able to use projects for something, but it’s also definitely ok to create just for the fun of creating. I used small square paper because I thought it would be easy to create a little gallery.
These would look cute hanging on the wall in clusters, given out as Valentine’s, or glued to folded paper to make a card. These would be adorable to send to grandparents or even teachers with a small gift.
Heart Doilies Craft
- Scissors Kid scissors
- Glue Liquid glue works best
- 4 pieces 6×6 Scrapbook Paper 1 per animal for the backing
- 1 piece Cardstock for Ears/Nose Pink or Purple or any other color
- 1 pack Small Heart Doilies Can buy multiple packs to get different color hearts
- 1 pack Felt Heart Stickers
- Googly Eyes
- Yellow Pom Poms
- Green Pipe Cleaners
- Start by deciding which color hearts and scrapbook paper to use for each animal. Glue down one heart to the center of each 6×6 scrapbook paper per animal. For the butterfly, glue down two hearts with the bottom of the heart overlapping.
- For rat: Cut out rounded ears, glue in the upper section of the heart. Add googly eyes, a felt heart nose. Cut whiskers from card stock and add 3 to each side of the nose. Once dry use a pen to draw on a mouth, or use card stock.
- For cat: Cut out pointed triangle ears, glue in the upper section of the heart. Add googly eyes, a felt heart nose. Cut whiskers from card stock and add 3 to each side of the nose. Once dry use a pen to draw on a mouth, or use card stock.
- For butterfly: Use 5 felt hearts where the two heart doilies connect to create a body. Cut antenna from card stock or use pipe cleaners.
- For snowman: Cut out a hat, triangle nose, and buttons from card stock. Add googly eyes.
- For flower: Glue 4 hearts together overlapping the bottom of the hearts to create a flower. Use yellow pom poms as the center and pipe cleaners for the stem.
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If you enjoyed this heart doilies craft then you’ll enjoy these Valentine’s day crafts too.
More Valentine’s Day Ideas
If you enjoyed this heart doilies craft then you will love these other Valentine’s crafts: