Kids will absolutely love this simple homemade Ice Cream In A Bag Recipe. This two serving frozen treat requires just five ingredients and comes together in less than 15 minutes.
Hey there Messy Momma Crafts readers! Trish here with another a kid approved recipe that is an absolutely perfect treat for any day or night. But this DIY dessert is especially tasty on warm summer days or rainy afternoons when the need for an indoor activity aligns with a sweet tooth snack time.
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
How To Make Ice Cream In A Bag
Create this tasty frozen treat in fifteen minutes with just five ingredients!
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Supplies Needed:
Optional Ice Cream In A Bag Mix-In & Topping Ideas:
Tips for Making Ice Cream In A Bag:
- Use name brand Ziploc plastic bags when making this frozen treat. A strong seal is necessary to keep your liquid ingredients in their rightful place and to avoid salty ice cream! (If you only have store brand bags on hand I recommend double bagging the ingredients bag before placing it in the salty ice bag.)
- To avoid little frozen fingers have children wear a pair of knit gloves or oven mitts when they are shaking the ice cold bag to create their chilly treat.
- Table salt works great to create this Ice Cream in a bag but my personal preference is to use a coarse chunkier salt with this recipe.
- When this ice cream sets it will be a similar consistency to soft serve frozen yogurt; if a more solid consistency is desired place the bag in the freezer for an additional ten minutes after you are done with the shaking step.
Ice Cream In A Bag | 15 Minute Recipe
- 3 Cups Ice
- 1/2 Cup Salt
- 1 Cup Half & Half Milk
- 2 Tbs Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- Add 3 cups of ice and ½ a cup of salt in a gallon size Ziploc bag and set the bag aside.
- Next add the Half & Half, Sugar and Vanilla to the quart size bag then squeeze out any air and securely seal the bag. (If concerned, double bag it.)
- Place the sealed bag of liquid ingredients into the gallon size bag of salt and ice then seal the gallon bag.
- Finally, shake it up! Shake the bag for 10 minutes.
- Remove the small bag of ice cream and rinse the salt off of the outside of the bag.
- Open the sweet treat in a bag, add any desired mix-ins then scoop and serve!
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If you enjoyed this Ice Cream In A Bag Recipe then you’ll enjoy these simple and creative frozen treats too.
More Fun Activities
If your kids enjoyed this fun frozen recipe then they will love these ideas too: