These Chex Scotcheroo Bars are made with peanut butter, butterscotch and chocolate. They are sure to make your sweet tooth happy.
Baking has always been one of my favorite things to do. When I was younger, I remember following recipes and making homemade chocolate chip cookies. There’s something about homemade cookies and treats that are way better than the store bought versions. Maybe it’s the work and love that goes into them.
Disclosure: If you make a purchase through links in this post, we may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
To this day, I love baking. My family and friends will call me up or text me and ask me what I am making that day (I think it’s a hint, ha).
How to Make Chex Scotcheroo Bars
Chex cereal is my all-time favorite cereal for a lazy Sunday morning. These bars are absolutely delicious and kid-approved too!
What You Need:
Here’s an overview of the stuff you need for the entire recipe The entire recipe with the exact measurements is at the bottom of this post in the printable recipe card.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Chex cereal
- Granulated sugar
- Peanut butter
- Light corn syrup
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
Scotcheroo Bars Making Questions
Here are a few questions that might pop into your mind while you make the scotcheroo bars:
Why Are My Bars So Hard?
The most common reason for hard scotcheroo bars is the overboiling of the simple syrup. Additionally, make sure you bring your cereal to room temperature before you start cooking it.
Can I Freeze My Scotcheroo?
Absolutely! Cut them into square and pop them into the freezer once they cool down. Dealing them in a freezer bag helps preserve it for longer periods of time.
Can I Substitute Chex With Another Cereal?
You are free to use the cereal of your choice for this recipe. After all, it finally boils down to personal preference. You can also get creative and shape Rice Krispies into hearts for some one you love.
Chex Scotcheroo Bars
- 9 x 13 inch pan
- Grease a large mixing bowl with a non-stick cooking spray and scoop in 6 cups of Chex.
- Grease a 9×13″ pan with a non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large pot on the stove, mix together 1 cup of light corn syrup and 1 cup of sugar and bring to a boil on medium to high heat.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, take the pot off the heat and mix in 1.5 cups of peanut butter.
- Quickly pour the peanut butter mixture into the bowl of Chex and mix well.
- Quickly scoop the peanut butter chex into a greased baking pan and press into the pan lightly.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 cup of butterscotch chips.
- On 50% power, microwave the chips for 4-5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture on top of the Chex and let harden at room temperature.
- Carefully cut into bars and enjoy.
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
More Dessert Recipes:
If you enjoyed this Chex scotcheroo bars recipe, you will surely love these dessert recipes:
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes: These Christmas Tree Cupcakes only require a few ingredients and will make your Christmas party guest smile with Christmas Cheer.
- Under the Sea Rice Krispie Treats: These Under the Sea Rice Krispie Treats are perfect for the summer and only require three ingredients.
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies: Caramel Apple Rice Krispies are the perfect fall treat and they are super easy to make!