Create the kind of hands-on creative fun that you can play with and eat with this simple 3 ingredient frosting recipe for Edible Play Dough.
Hey there Messy Momma Crafts readers! Trish here with a simple idea for sweet sensory fun. Kids will love making their own playdough as much as they will love playing with and even nibbling on their squishy creations.
Disclosure: If you make a purchase through links in this post, we may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
How To Make Edible Play Dough
This craft is simple creative and edible fun for kids of all ages!
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe tutorial card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Supplies Needed:
Edible Play Dough Tips
What if the consistency doesn’t feel quite like Play Dough?
If your edible play dough doesn’t feel quite right the fix is simple! Simply add a little more powdered sugar (just a tablespoon at a time) if the playdough is too sticky. On the flip side, if your playdough is too dry just knead in a few drops of olive oil or water.
How long will Frosting Play Dough keep?
Since this fun creative is made with food ingredients it will only last a few days. Be sure to preserve your edible play dough in an airtight container and wash your hands before you play with it. If you plan on keeping your creative squishy fun for a few days you will likely need to ‘freshen’ it up a bit before playtime with a few drops of one of the suggested liquids noted above.
Can I use other frosting flavors?
Absolutely! Try chocolate, lemon, strawberry, or whatever flavor your heart desires. As sweet as this play dough is the nibbling will likely be very minimal but flavors are fun so why not try them all?
Additional Tips for creating Edible Play Dough:
- Mix dough with food coloring in glass bowls or ziploc bags to avoid staining plastic bowls.
- Skip the food coloring stained fingers by wearing food safe rubber gloves when it’s time to knead the colors into the dough. (After the food coloring is absorbed you will not need to wear gloves for play.)
Edible Play Dough | 3 Ingredient Frosting Recipe
- 1 can Vanilla Frosting (16 ounce)
- 3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Food Coloring
- Mix the entire can of frosting and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use a spatula or mixing spoon to stir the two ingredients together. Once the mixture becomes too difficult to stir use your hands to knead the play dough.
- Separate the edible play dough into the desired number of different colors. Place the dough into Ziploc bags or glass bowls then add a few drops of food coloring to the dough. Next mix or knead the colorful edible play dough.
- If needed add powdered sugar, olive oil or drops of water to achieve desired consistency.
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If your kids enjoyed this fun recipe tutorial then they will love these simple play dough and DIY slime ideas too:
More Hands On Creative Play Ideas:
If you enjoyed this fun tutorial then you will love these ideas: