Color up St. Patrick’s day celebrations by trying out this adorable DIY lucky rainbow wreath idea with your family. What are you waiting for? Grab your art supplies and get ready for a fun day of crafting.
My boys love mixing colors and doing rainbow crafts all year round. With St. Patrick’s day coming up, I thought I’ll share an easy, family-friendly craft idea with all of you. This is the perfect décor to hang in front of your kid’s bedroom to help celebrate the joy of the season.
Disclosure: If you make a purchase through links in this post, we may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Every year, I break my jar of pennies and hide them around my house and yard. I tell the boys to collect the coins that a leprechaun lost and store them in a jar. They leave the pot of gold outside the house and it magically gets exchanged with a thank-you gift from the leprechaun the next morning. I decided to incorporate the traditional pot o’gold in this rainbow wreath to bring in the spirit of St. Patrick’s day.
Who said you need a shamrock to get lucky? All you need is this St. Patrick’s day inspired rainbow wreath to attract leprechauns to your home.
How To Make Lucky Rainbow Wreath For Kids
When we made this wreath last year, it stayed on my son’s bedroom door until the next holiday. Your kids will fall in love with the bright and happy colors of this lucky wreath too.
- Styrofoam wreath form
- “LUCKY” wooden letters
- White craft paint
- Paint brush
- White pompoms
- Plastic cauldron
- Gold pompoms
- Ribbon in rainbow colors
- Hot glue gun and glue
Alternatives You Can Use to Create Your Lucky Rainbow Wreath
If you don’t have the supplies that are mentioned above, don’t be disheartened. You can still make the wreath using these substitutes.
#1 – Cauldron
You can always make a mini cauldron all by yourself with a bit of grey clay. You can also print out a picture of a cauldron and paste it on the rainbow wreath. If you want to improvise, take a few chopsticks, paint them grey and use them as magic wands.
#2 – LUCKY wooden letters
If you don’t have wooden letters lying around, use that as a fun DIY opportunity and create them using cardboard. I’m sure your kids will love personalizing the letters using washi tape and color paper.
#3 – Pom-Poms
You can switch things up by using yarn pom-poms instead of store brought ones. You can adjust the size of the pom-poms and make them in different colors too. These fluffy accessories will be a great upgrade to the regular pom-poms.
Lucky Rainbow Wreath Step-By-Step Pictures
Coat your wreath and the letters in white paint.
Put hot glue in the back of your pom-poms and stick them in the opening of the cauldron.
Place the cauldron in the interior side of the bottom of the wreath.
Glue white pom-poms around the white section of the wreath and under the cauldron. It should look like clouds.
Glue the letters on top and you’re all done!
Rainbow Wreath For Kids
- Hot Glue Gun
- Paint Brush
- 1 Styrofoam wreath form
- 1 “LUCKY” wooden letters
- 1 White craft paint
- 15-20 White pompoms
- 1 Plastic cauldron
- 5 Gold pompoms
- 1/2 yard Ribbon in rainbow colors
- Paint letters and bottom quarter to third of wreath white.
- Wrap ribbons around wreath in rainbow order, gluing to the back of the wreath as you go
- Hot glue gold pompoms into the opening of the cauldron and glue the cauldron to the inside of the wreath at the bottom.
- Glue white pompoms around the white section of the wreath and around the base of the cauldron to form clouds. Leave the back uncovered so the wreath can still lay flat.
- Glue dried wooden letters to the rainbow
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
More Holiday-Themed Ideas
If you enjoyed making this lucky rainbow wreath then you will love these holiday-themed ideas too:
- Baseball Card Valentine Cards: These Baseball Card Valentine Cards are the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your friends.
- Cupid’s Arrow Valentine’s Day Heart Craft: Learn how to make this super cute cupid’s arrow Valentine’s Day heart craft with your kids. This is a perfect craft idea for your Valentine’s themed party.
- Free Printable DIY Wall Art for the Summer: Check out these beautiful free printable DIY wall art pieces, a perfect option for updating your wall space for the summertime!