Make a crayon picture frame with your child for a fun kids’ craft that makes a lovely handmade keepsake for displaying a photo or kids’ art.
Hello, I’m Keri. Over at Backyard Summer Camp, I’m collecting all the best simple kids’ crafts to help you plan summer at home with your family. I love using repurposed materials and this crayon picture frame is so simple!
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Handmade home decor and gifts that you kids can make themselves are always a fun keepsake.
This crayon picture frame is a fun summer activity that uses up the leftover crayons from the school year. Of course, you can also make it any time with new or used crayons.
It makes a great gift for parents, grandparents, and teachers. Use it to display a photo or add some of your child’s artwork.
How To Make a Crayon Picture Frame
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable craft card at the bottom of this post.
Craft Tools Needed:
Crayon Picture Frame Variations
You can do this craft exactly the way I did, but there are tons of ways to change it up too. Use any item that’s very small and can be glued to a frame without being too heavy.
Old broken crayons are a great way to recycle. Make sure they still have the paper on to keep them from melting and getting messy.
Beads and buttons
Give your old broken jewelry a new life by upcycling it to make a funky and artistic photo frame.
Find a use for all those odd puzzle pieces and game pieces that your kids aren’t using anymore.
Crayon Picture Frame
- Low-temp hot glue gun
- Hot glue gun sticks
- 1 box crayons approximately 60
- 1 picture frame 11×13-inches with 8×10-inch photo opening
- Plan the layout.Lay the frame flat and place crayons on top, arranging them to cover the front. Adjust the crayons until you're happy with how they look. You may want to swap colors around to avoid having too many similar ones together.
- Glue each crayon.Using the hot glue gun, draw a line of glue along the back of each crayon and stick it back onto the frame. Older kids can do this with some supervision, but you may want to handle the hot glue and have a younger child place the crayons.
- Add the picture.Let the glue cool and dry completely. Open the frame and add your child's picture.
- Display.Hang the picture frame on a wall or display it on a table or mantle.
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If you liked this crayon picture frame craft, then be sure to check out Backyard Summer Camp for even more easy kids’ crafts.
More Kids’ Craft Ideas
If you enjoyed this crayon picture frame then you will love these kids’ craft ideas: