Homemade Lemonade is a summer staple! There is something about the sweet vs sour taste that everyone loves.
I love when I see kids set up lemonade booths at the end of their driveways while I drive around town. The smiles on their cute little faces when people stop to buy their love-infused lemonade is priceless.
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
I never realized how easy it is to make homemade lemonade until I made it this month. 3 ingredients and you’ve got yourself summer in a glass!
How Do You Make Homemade Lemonade?
Even if this has only 3 ingredients, it’s important that you follow the right method to get the perfect balance of sweet and salty. However, you can modify the ratio of sugar to lemon juice according to your preference.
What you need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Granulated sugar
- Cold water/ice
- Lemon slices for garnish
Lemonade Recipe Tips
Tip #1 – Mix Sugar and Water
You can always mix the sugar with one cup of water instead of adding it directly to avoid the sugary grit in lemonade. For the health-conscious moms out there, you can swap out refined sugar with healthier alternatives like honey or maple syrup.
Don’t dump all the sweetener into the lemonade at once. Taste to mixture first to get an idea of how much sugar/honey you should add.
Tip #2 – Make Lemon Juice Ice Cubes
Freeze lemon juice and add it along with regular ice cubes to maintain it’s taste. Pour the juice into an ice tray until they’re almost full. Avoid filling it to the brim as liquid expands a little as it cools.
You could also measure the amount of lemon juice you put into every cube for extra precision. Leave the tray in your freezer overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours. Once they’re frozen, twist the tray gently in alternating directions until the cubes pop right out.
If you would like to preserve it for longer periods of time, transfer the cubes into a plastic bag/container. Make sure you label it so you don’t forget what’s inside!
Tip 3 – Refrigerate The Lemonade
The best way to store your lemonade is the refrigerate it without ice. It helps the flavors of the lemonade to mix well. Add ice just before you serve the drink to avoid diluting it. If you want to remove the pulp before refrigerating it, strain it through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Lemonade Pitcher
- Lemon Juicer
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 ½ cups cold water
- Lemon slices (garnish)
- Wash the lemons, cut them in half and juice them into a measuring cup. Set the lemon juice aside.
- Add the water and sugar to a saucepan and bring to a simmer until the sugar has dissolved. This will make the simple syrup you'll need for the lemonade
- Remove the simple syrup from the stove, pour into a pitcher and place in the fridge to cool.
- Mix the lemon juice into the pitcher of simple syrup
- Add 1 cup cold water and 3-4 cups of ice until you've reached the perfect sweet vs sour lemonade.
This lemonade is the perfect way to quench your thirst on a hot summer day! Even my pups were quite interested but don’t worry I gave them water instead!
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
More Dessert Recipes:
If you enjoyed making this lemonade, then you will love these recipes too:
- Chex Scotcheroo Bars: These Chex Scotcheroo Bars are made with peanut butter, butterscotch and chocolate. They are sure to make your sweet tooth happy.
- Under the Sea Rice Krispie Treats: These Under the Sea Rice Krispie Treats are perfect for the summer and only require three ingredients.
Leave a Reply