These Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Cookies are a perfect treat for all the TNMT folks out there.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was always a show on in our house growing up in the 90’s, my brother loved the toys and we both enjoyed the show. Leo was always my favorite Ninja Turtle, maybe it’s because he has the blue mask? I have no idea.
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
That’s why today, I’m bringing you these tasty and awesome Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Cookies, bandana and all.
How To Make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Cookies
Who can’t say no to an adorable turtle cookie? Bring the Ninja Turtles to your kid’s party by making these delicious cookies.
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet pan
- Mixing bowl
- Electric hand mixer, or stand mixer
- Rolling pin
- Wire cooling rack
- Double boiler pot
- Circle cookie cutter
- Wilton green chocolate candy melts
- Solid shortening
- Red Airheads
- Blue Airheads
- Orange Airheads
- Purple Airheads
- Wilton candy eyes
- Black cookie icing
Cookie Baking Tips:
Tip #1 – Handle the Dough With Care
If you use a rolling pun to flatten the dough, it’s difficult to be gentle with it. Your cookies get harder, the more you roll it. This is because of the working of the glutens. However, you can minimize it by dusting the surface with confectioner’s sugar instead of flour. Additionally, when you cut out the shapes for your cookies, get as close to the edge of the dough to reduce the amount of times you need to re-roll.
Tip#2 – Don’t Open Your Oven
You don’t have to open your oven every 10 minutes to rotate the trays. Most bakers think that rotating trays help the heat to evenly distribute throughout the cookies. However, opening your oven releases heat which is worse. It does not allow the cookies to rise properly and get to that tasty brown color.
Tip#3 – Use a Cooling Rack
When freshly baked cookies are placed on a pan, it continues to cook which results in the over-browning of the bottoms. They can also get a little soggy because the steam can’t escape when they are kept in a pan.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Cookies
- 1 cup Wilton green chocolate candy melts
- ¼ cup solid shortening
- 3 large red Airheads
- 3 large orange Airheads
- 3 large purple Airheads
- 24 large Wilton candy eyes
- 1 tube black cookie icing
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment.
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and cream using a hand mixer.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- On low speed, add 1/4 of the dry ingredients and mix until well distributed. Continue to add flour, 1/4 cup at a time until all is mixed in and combined.
- Sprinkle some flour on a hard surface. Place some of the dough on the hard surface and use a rolling pin to make it about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a circle cookie cutter, cut out 12 round shapes from the dough and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and let cool on a wire rack.
How to decorate the cookies?
- Melt the shortening in a double boiler. Add the green candy melts and stir until completely melted. Pour into a small microwave-safe bowl to make it easier to handle.
- Using a spatula, ice each cookie with the melted chocolate. You will have to work fairly quickly as the chocolate will harden within 10 minutes
- Unwrap each Airheads candy piece. These will be the turtle masks. Use kitchen or craft scissors to cut each piece to fit the width of your cookie.
- On both sides of each “mask” piece, cut a small indentation with your scissors. Set aside.
- If your cookies have not hardened yet, gently place the mask in the middle of each cookie and it will attach to the cookie once it hardens. Otherwise, pipe a small amount of cookie icing on the back of each mask and gently place on each cookie.
- Dab a small amount of icing to the back of two candy eyes and place on each mask.
- With the black cookie icing, pipe a smile on each turtle.
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
More Snack Recipes:
If you enjoyed these Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cookies, then you will love these snack recipes:
- Easter Bunny Poop Rice Krispies: Easter Bunny Poop Rice Krispies will have you and the family laughing for days, especially if it’s left from the Easter Bunny.
- Hazelnut Spread M&M Cookies: If you love Nutella, then you will love these Hazelnut Spread M&M Cookies.
- Birthday Cake Hot Cocoa Bombs: Celebrate your kid’s special day with these birthday cake hot cocoa bombs! These are extremely fun to make and perfect for cold-weather birthdays.