Giving my plate o’ cookies a Halloween makeover. Get your bandages ready, here are my Mummy Sugar Cookies.
This is a fun Halloween dessert to make with kids of all ages! Everyone will have a blast decorating their own mummies. They are as fun to make as these Halloween monster cookies (those eyes are so funny!).
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Sugar cookies always seem to be reserved for the holidays. But why?! I think there’s a special place for sugar cookies on any Halloween sweets table.
These mummies are totally cute and not at all scary. You could even host a cookie decorating party. Just make the sugar cookies ahead of time and then everyone can decorate them how they want.
How To Make Halloween Sugar Cookies
You don’t need very many things to make these cute little cookies!
I had tons of fun making these Mummy Sugar Cookies. Rather than only using buttercream, I opted to mix it up with different (and super sweet) mediums.
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Pre-Made Sugar Cookies (this is my favorite recipe)
- White fondant
- Cornstarch, for rolling
- Butter, softened
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Black decorating frosting
- Candy googly eyes
Cookie Decorating Tips
This recipe makes about a dozen cookies. You might have to make more buttercream if you want to make more cookies.
Use Chilled Cookies
It’s very difficult to frost warm cookies. It melts the frosting and creates more of a glaze. I like to chill the cookies so they are easier to decorate.
Make Homemade Buttercream
I included a recipe for homemade buttercream in the printable recipe card. You can also just use store-bought frosting.
If you are making homemade buttercream frosting and you find that it is too runny, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add more milk.
Add The Eyes First
After you spread the buttercream frosting on the cookies, add the black frosting and place the eyes. Now you are ready to spread the fondant wrappers!
Tips For Preschoolers
If you are doing these cookies with toddlers or preschoolers, I suggest giving them their own child-safe tools (like plastic knives and bowls). Or, pre-frost the cookies and let them add the wrappers.
Colored Fondant Idea
Mummies are usually wrapped in white shrouds, but if you wanted to add a bit of extra flair, you can always use different colors on the mummies too!
Mummy Sugar Cookies
- Baking Sheet
- Wax Paper
- Electric Mixer
- 12 Sugar Cookies pre-made
- 6 ounces White Fondant
- Cornstarch for rolling
- 1/2 stick Butter softened
- 1 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 4 tbsp Milk
- Black Decorating Frosting
- 24 Candy Googly Eyes
- Ensure that your cookies are cool before decorating. Start by prepping your fondant “bandages.” Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface with cornstarch. Also, add some on your rolling pin.
- Roll out your fondant so that it’s about 1/4 of an inch thick. Cut into long strips and set carefully on your lined baking sheet.
- Time for the buttercream: using an electric mixer, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and milk on medium speed. Gradually increase to high until smooth. Your buttercream is ready once it forms semi-stiff peaks.
- Using an offset spatula, spread buttercream on each cookie.
- At the top of your cookie, around where you’d place your mummy’s eyes, spread a small dollop of black decorating icing. Top it with your candy googly eyes.
- This is where the fun starts: start spreading your fondant strips on random parts of your cookies. Trim where necessary.
More Halloween Ideas
If you enjoyed these cute mummy sugar cookies, here are some more Halloween ideas you can do with your kids.