These M&M hot cocoa bombs are super-fun to make and you can give them away as edible DIY gifts too! Make some with your kiddos.
There is something so delightful about hot, melted chocolate! In fact, if you enjoyed these birthday cake hot cocoa bombs, then you are really going to love these!
There are so many different ways to enjoy it, but my favorite is to make some hot cocoa bombs. They are so fun to watch as they burst open, melt, and fill the cup with cocoa.
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
These have the added bonus of mini M&Ms around the outside. It’s so fun to slurp the hot cocoa and then munch on the tiny candies with it!
Whether you have made hot cocoa bombs before or this is your first time, you are going to love them so much!
How To Make M&M Hot Cocoa Bombs
These are actually really simple to make. You only need a few ingredients and supplies.
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
Questions & Tips
Here are my best tips for making hot cocoa bombs. I am also going to share some pictures of the step-by-step process. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments.
Be Careful When You Melt Chocolate Chips
Either melt them on the stove or in the microwave. No matter which way you melt the chocolate chips, go slowly. Stir the chocolate chips every 5-10 seconds. This will prevent the chocolate from burning.
Spread 2 Layers Of Chocolate To The Molds
This is one of my best tips! Add a really thin layer of chocolate to the molds, then freeze them. Once they are completely frozen, add a second layer.
If your chocolate is too thin, it might crack or break when you try to remove them from the silicone mold. Two layers are the key.
Add M&Ms Inside The Hot Cocoa Bombs
If you want to really make the hot cocoa extra special, sprinkle some M&M minis inside the hot cocoa bombs! Then your drink will be filled with these little treats.
Add To Hot Milk
Heat up a mug of warm milk. Make sure it’s not more than 2/3 full. The hot cocoa bomb will displace some of the milk. It needs to be warm enough to melt the chocolate.
M&M Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Silicone Molds
- Piping bag
- 2 cups Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup M&M minis
- 8 ounces Milk
- Place 2 cups chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, heat on 50% power in the microwave for 3-5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted
- Use a teaspoon to scoop the chocolate into the half circles on the silicone mold, one at a time. Spreading the chocolate evenly onto the sides and bottom of mold until completely coated in melted chocolate. Do the same to all 12 half circles.
- Place the silicone molds into the freezer for 2-3 minutes and remove.
- Add a second layer of melted chocolate to the half circles molds, especially on the edges.
- Freeze again for another minute and remove carefully with food safe gloves.
- Carefully stretch the silicone molds to remove the half circles.
- Turn the mold upside down and place the rounded sides in between the molds as a stand while filling
- Add hot cocoa powder and several miniature M&M’s to the one side.
- Reheat the chocolate if it has hardened and add 4 tablespoons to a decorating bag.
- Cut a small tip off the decorating bag and frost the edge of one half chocolate circle. Carefully and quickly add an empty chocolate circle on top to make a sphere and hold it in place for 15 seconds or until the chocolate has acted like glue and hardened
- Place onto a plate, drizzle melted chocolate on top with the decorating bag, and top with miniature M&M’s.
- Let the chocolate harden and place in a glass of warm/hot milk, stir, and watch the bomb melt to see what’s inside or place in an empty glass and pour hot milk on top of the bomb, watching it melt, and then stir.
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
More Kid-Friendly Dessert Recipes
If you enjoyed this M&M hot cocoa bombs recipe then you will love these kid-friendly desserts next: