Kids will enjoy creating these simple OREO Spider Cookies Spooky Halloween Treats almost as much as they will love eating these festive snacks.
Hey there Messy Momma Crafts readers! Trish here with an absolutely adorable Halloween treat tutorial. It begins with OREOs, requires just four additional ingredients, and ends up as a spooky, silly, salty, and sweet spider-shaped snack that kids are sure to love!
This festive treat makes for a great DIY party favor, especially in elementary classrooms. It is an absolutely perfect kids’ tutorial for the month of October.
Disclosure: If you make a purchase through links in this post, we may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
How To Make OREO Spider Cookies Spooky Halloween Treats
Celebrate Halloween and create these festive treats with your kiddos!
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. There is also a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post with this list of ingredients and the simple steps to create these sweet spiders.
Kitchen Supplies Needed:
- Baking Sheet or Large Plate
- Parchment Paper or Wax Paper
- Small Microwave Safe Bowl
- Spoon or Spatula
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
Tips for Making OREO Spider Cookies Spooky Halloween Treats:
- Use “BOO” edition OREOS. Rather than using basic ol’ original OREOs, take your Halloween festive meter to another level and use the seasonal edition “BOO” OREOs. The OREO BOO edition cookies have orange colored cream middles and five different Halloween designs on one side of the sandwich cookies. Don’t worry, this household favorite cookie tastes exactly the same as OREOs with white cream filling.
- Make shorter legs. If you prefer that your sweet spiders have shorter salty legs, place the pretzel sticks on a cutting board then use a sharp knife to cut the stick pretzels in half before adding them to the OREOs.
- Open the cookies first. Rather than gently pressing the pretzel sticks into the soft center of the sandwiched OREO cookies and taking the chance of breaking the cookie sandwich ends; pull open the OREO cookie sandwich then press the chocolate dipped tips of the pretzels down into the OREO cream center. Place the cookie end back on the cream and gently press your sandwich spider back together.
- Candy corn is optional. If you do not LOVE Candy Corn, skip the corn syrup teeth! After-all, how many spiders even have teeth? (That’s a rhetorical question! I much prefer my spiders in the form of sugary sweet OREOs. Let’s just forget the others even exist and forget I ever asked that question about teeth.)
- Use a pretzel stick to draw eyes. Rather than dipping the candy eyes into the melted chocolate, use a pretzel stick to dip into the chocolate then add a dot of melted chocolate to the backs of the eyes to secure them to the tops of the cookies.
OREO Spider Cookies Spooky Halloween Treats
- 1 package OREO Cookies
- 1 bag Pretzel Sticks
- 1 bag Candy Corn
- 1 package Candy Eyes
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (any variation of chocolate)
- Prepare a baking sheet or a flat surface with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on high heat for 45-60 seconds then stir with a spoon until smooth.
- Assemble your OREO Spider Cookies by dipping the tips of 6 pretzel sticks into the melted chocolate then pressing them into the middle part of the OREO cookie in the design of spider legs.
- If you are creating sweet Spiders with teeth use a sharp knife to cut off the white ends of Candy Corn then dip the cut end of the candies into the melted chocolate and press them into the middle of the cookie to resemble teeth.
- Next use a pretzel sticks to add a dot of melted chocolate onto the back of candy eyes then press them onto the tops of the Spider cookies.
- Allow cookies to rest until the melted chocolate has set.
- Enjoy! Happy Halloween!
Love the ideas you see here on Messy Momma Crafts? Subscribe today and get our weekly newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If your kids enjoyed these OREO Spider Cookies Spooky Halloween Treats then they’ll enjoy these seasonal sweets too:
More Spooky & Sweet Snacks
If your kids enjoyed these festive Halloween treats then they will love these ideas too: