This chocolate chip shortbread bars recipe is so simple you can make it with your kids! It has the classic shortbread texture and isn’t too sweet either.
This chocolate shortbread is perfect for everyone that doesn’t like super-sweet treats. It’s so simple to make and takes just a few ingredients. If your kiddos want to learn how to bake, start with this recipe.
It’s a great treat to have on hand, for a hostess gift, or for your dessert table. No matter where you decide to serve this, everyone is sure to love it.
Disclosure: If you make a purchase through links in this post, we may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Any chocoholic will fall in love with these buttery melt-in-your-mouth shortbreads studded with chocolate chips. Personally, the hardest part of this recipe was deciding whether I had to cut it into squares, triangles, or sticks. I’m not joking when I tell you that this is the perfect no-fuss recipe to look up when the sugar cravings kick in after a long, tiresome day.
What Is Shortbread?
A shortbread is a Scottish biscuit that was first made using leftover bread dough. When compared to normal cookies, shortbread cookies do not contain eggs and have a higher butter to flour ratio. This gives shortbread cookies their crumbly and rich texture.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars
This recipe is incredibly versatile and can be used as a base for other variations too.
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Mixing bowl
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sharp knife
- 9″ x 13″ baking pan
- Powdered sugar
- Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips
- Mini chocolate chips, for garnish
- Sprinkles or nonpareils (optional)
Chocolate Shortbread Step-By-Step Pictures
If you use a whisk, it will take a lot longer. I suggest at least using some kind of electric mixer.
Next, add the vanilla and then mix it up even more. You should use real vanilla extract if at all possible. It has a lot more flavor than imitation vanilla.
Add the powdered sugar and flour and mix till its blended. The best way to add the powdered sugar and flour is just a little bit at a time. If you try to add them all at once, it will make a huge mess!
Adding the flour and powdered sugar is a fun step for the kiddos to do! For really little ones, give them a few small measuring cups of each ingredient and let them dump it in.
How To Melt Chocolate In The Microwave
Next, you will melt the chocolate in the microwave. This is going to be mixed into the dough and give it a chocolate flavor.
Be very careful when you melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. It’s very easy to burn it.
Here’s how to melt chocolate in the microwave.:
- Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook it on high for 10 seconds.
- Take it out and stir it really well.
- Then, cook it for another 10 seconds.
- Keep repeating this process until all of the chocolate is melted.
Blend in melted chocolate and place the dough in a baking dish. Press evenly and bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.
How To Store Chocolate Chip Shortbread
Shortbread cookies have a very high fat content which means that they can crumble easily if they aren’t handled carefully. Store your shortbread cookies in the refrigerator to keep them fresh for longer periods of time.
Do not refrigerate the cookies as soon as they are out of the oven. The heat of the shortbread cookies will generate steam, which can make the shortbread cookies very soggy. Allow them to cool, put them in an airtight container and store them in your fridge for optimal freshness.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 ounces Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate chips if you want it more chocolaty, use 1/3 cup
- 2 cups flour
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, place the softened Butter, and mix with the whisk attachment, until the butter is light and fluffy.
- Add the Vanilla, and mix until blended.
- Combine the powdered sugar, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the flour, a little at a time, until it's all been added, and the shortbread is smooth.
- In the microwave, melt the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips (1/3 cup if you like more chocolate), and add to the mixing bowl.
- Blend well, until all the melted chocolate is blended.
- Remove from the mixing bowl from the stand, and scrape down the sides of the bowl, and fold the shortbread with a large spoon, to completely blend.
- Place the shortbread in 9 X 13 dish, and press evenly into the dish.
- Add Sprinkles, or Nonpareils to the top of the shortbread, if desired.
- Score the the shortbread with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown. Let the Shortbread cool until slightly warm.
- Cut into bars, and move to a rack to finish cooling.
- When cooled, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, serve, and Enjoy!
More Sweet Snack Recipes
If you enjoyed these chocolate chip shortbread bars, then you will love these sweet snack recipes too:
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies: Caramel Apple Rice Krispies are the perfect fall treat and they are super easy to make!
- Easter Bunny Cupcakes: Chocolate Easter bunnies are an Easter staple. When you place them on a cupcake and make Easter Bunny Cupcakes, it makes them even cuter.
- Chex Scotcheroo Bars: These Chex Scotcheroo Bars are made with peanut butter, butterscotch and chocolate. They are sure to make your sweet tooth happy.